IPL 2022 mega auction, the two-day bidding event saw many prominent players going big under the hammer.
At the same time, all the IPL franchises showed substantial interest in investing in the future stars of Indian cricket
Among those future stars, we had Tilak Varma got bagged by the Mumbai Indians for INR 1.7 crores, 8.5 times his base price of INR 20 lakh.
So today, let’s look at some interesting facts about Tilak Varma.
1) On 8 November 2002, Tilak Varma was born in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh in India
2) At the age of 10, he started his cricket training under coach Salam Bayash at the Legala Cricket Academy.
3) A left-handed middle-order batsman and off-spin bowler, Tilak faced many financial obstacles to get into cricket
His father worked as an electrician in people’s homes and supported him continue his cricket
4) Playing for the South Zone in U14 grade cricket, he scored 460 runs that included two centuries and two fifties
5) A big fan of cricketer Suresh Raina, Varma made his First-Class debut for Hyderabad against Andhra Pradesh in 2018.
6) In 2019, Tilak made his List-A and T20 debut and scored 779 runs ( including 4 tons ) in the Coochbehar Trophy
7) Varma was in India’s squad for the 2020 ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup. He played six games and scored 86 runs at an average of 28.66.
8) In the 2021-22 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, Tilak scored 215 runs in 7 matches at a superb strike rate of 147.26.
9) In the Vijay Hazare Trophy 2021-22, Tilak scored 180 runs in five games and also picked four wickets
10) Mumbai Indians bagged his services for INR 1.7 crore in the auction for the 2022 IPL