Shubman Gill, the Indian right-handed opening batsman, is one of the most talented cricketers we have right now
From the 2018 U-19 World Cup, IPL, and now to the Indian Test and ODI team – Shubman Gill has shown his mettle, both in Indian and overseas conditions
So here, we have listed down 16 interesting facts about Shubman Gill
1) On 8 September 1999, Shubman Gill was born in the small city of Fazilka in Punjab
2) From an early age, he had a great knack for playing cricket
According to his parents, young Shubhman’s only toy was his cricket bat
3) Shubhman’s father is an agriculturalist and played an important role in developing Shubman into a good cricketer
4) His father Lakhwinder wanted to be a cricketer, and so, wanted his son to fulfill his dream of becoming an international cricketer
So, he built a cricket ground for Gill’s practice and a turf pitch for Gill to play, and on that ground, he used to give him 500 to 700 throwdowns per day, so that he could middle the ball better.
5) After the initial training, his father admitted him to the Punjab cricket association’s academy
Their entire family to Mohali and rented a house near the PCA Stadium so that Shubhman can focus more on his cricket
6) He studied at the Manav Mangal Smart School in Mohali and had a lot of trouble managing his cricket along with academics.
7) In 2014, in Punjab’s inter-district U-16 tournament, Shubhman scored 351 runs
Two years later, made his U-16 debut for Punjab in the Vijay Merchant Trophy where he scored a double century
8) He also managed to win the BCCI award for Best Junior Cricketer for two consecutive years ( 2013-14 and 2014-15 )
9) Shubhman made his List-A debut for Punjab in the 2016-17 Vijay Hazare Trophy
He also made his first-class debut for Punjab against Bengal in the 2017-18 Ranji Trophy.
9) He was the vice-captain of the Indian team that managed to win the 2018 U-19 World Cup.
He scored 418 runs in the tournament, grabbed three ‘Man of the Match’ awards, and was named the ‘Player of the tournament.’
10) He played for KKR in the 2019 IPL and made his IPL debut against the Sunrisers Hyderabad at the Eden Gardens.
Gill played 13 matches in that season, scored 203 runs at a superb strike-rate of 146.
11) On 31 January 2019, he made his ODI debut against New Zealand at Seddon Park, Hamilton.
12) In August 2019, 19 years and 334 days old at the time, scored 204 runs for India A against West Indies A at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad and Tobago
In that process, Gill became the youngest Indian batsman to score a double century in a first-class cricket
13) On 26 December 2020, Gill made his Test debut for India against Australia at the MCG in the Boxing Day Test match
In the fourth Test of the Border-Gavaskar series, Shubhman scored 91 runs to help India register a historic victory at Gabba to win the series 2-1
14) Just ahead of the 2022 IPL auction, Gill was drafted by the Gujarat Titans IPL franchise
15) Shubman Gill, in an interview with Sportskeeda, said that he idolizes Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli.
16) Shubhman is the only cricketer to have an average of over 100 in Youth ODIs