Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium (SBNS)’ is probably the best cricket stadium in Bangladesh.
One of the world’s most historic cricket venues, it hosts all the three major formats of the game – tests, ODIs, and T20Is.
So today, we will talk about some of the most iconic facts about this famous cricket stadium.
Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts
1) Established in 2006, the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium is named after ‘Sher-e-Bangla’ of Bangladesh, A. K. Fazlul Huq.
2) Located in Mirpur of Dhaka, it is also called the ‘Mirpur Stadium’
3) It is the largest Test match venue in Bangladesh with a seating capacity of 26,000 people
4) The first international test match on this venue was played between India and Bangladesh, where India defeated Bangladesh by an innings and 239 runs.
5) In 2014, during the 2nd ODI between Bangladesh and India, Taskin Ahmed became the youngest cricketer to pick a five-wicket-haul in ODIs
6) In the same match between Bangladesh and India, Indian fast bowler Stuart Binny picked six wickets and ended with figures of 6-4
This is the best bowling figure by an Indian bowler in ODI cricket history.
7) On 1 December 2014, on this venue, against a visiting Zimbabwean team, Bangladeshi cricketer Taijul Islam became the first cricketer to pick up a Hat-Trick on ODI Debut
8) On 10 July 2015, Kagiso Rabada made his ODI debut against Bangladesh on this ground
Rabada picked a five-wicket-haul (6-16), including a Hat-trick, and became the second Bowler pick up a Hat-Trick on ODI Debut.
9) On 23 January 2018, on this venue, Tamim Iqbal became the first Bangladesh batsman to reach 6,000 runs in ODIs
10) On 3 November 2018, playing against Zimbabwe on this venue, Mushfiqur Rahim became the first wicket-keeper-batsman to score two double centuries in test matches