Sean Williams, the test captain of Zimbabwe, is one of the best cricketers Zimbabwe has ever produced.
A left-handed batsman who also bowls occasionally, Sean has proved himself as an asset for the Zimbabwe cricket team, especially in the limited-overs format.
So, here we have listed 17 amazing facts about Sean Williams.
1) On 26 September 1986, Sean Williams was born in the city of Bulawayo in Zimbabwe
2) Sean Williams’ father, Collin Ray Williams, was also a cricketer ( played First-Class cricket for Matabeleland ) and a national hockey coach.
Her mother, Patricia Mckillop, was a member of the Zimbabwe women’s national hockey team that won gold at the 1980 Summer Olympics.
Sean’s brother Matthew Williams is a first-class cricketer and played for Matabeleland Tuskers in Zimbabwe
His stepbrother, Michael McKillop, is also a first-class cricketer and a field hockey player who was the captain of the Zimbabwe men’s national hockey team.
3) Sean led Zimbabwe in the 2006 U-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka, where they managed to win three matches in the group stage, including a win against England in Colombo
4) Williams played for Matabeleland Tuskers in first-class cricket and scored his highest domestic score (129) against Centrals in the 2006–07 domestic season
5) On 25 February 2005, Sean Williams made his ODI debut for Zimbabwe against South Africa in Johannesburg
6) Wanting a more settled cricket career overseas, he went to South Africa to win a central contract from Cricket South Africa
But, dogged by injuries, he had to quit this dream and returned to Zimbabwe
7) In the 2010–11 ICC Intercontinental Cup, Sean Williams scored a superb 178 run knock for Zimbabwe XI against Ireland
He played two matches in the 2011 World Cup but had to miss the rest of the matches due to a thumb injury
8) On 20 March 2013, Sean Williams made his test debut for Zimbabwe against West Indies at Roseau
He scored an aggregate of 36 runs in that match as Zimbabwe suffered an innings defeat
9) Sean Williams is a big fan of Indian cricket legend and current BCCI chairman Sourav Ganguly
While giving an interview during the 2015 World Cup, Williams revealed that he used to watch videos of Sourav’s batting which helped him improve his batting against spin bowling immensely
10) In July 2016, Sean Williams scored his maiden Test century against New Zealand at Bulawayo
Batting at No.8, Williams scored 119 off 148 balls, the fastest test century by any Zimbabwean cricketer
11) In April 2019, Sean Williams scored the fastest ODI century by a Zimbabwe batsman ( from 75 balls ) against UAE in Harare
12) In January 2020, Sean captained Zimbabwe in tests for the first time in a two-match test series against Sri Lanka.
In the second Test match in Harare, he scored his second Test century (107) to help his team draw the match against the Lankans, Zimbabwe’s first drawn match at home since 2017.
13) On 10 March 2021, in a test match against Afghanistan, Sean Williams and Donald Tiripano added a record 187 runs partnership for the 8th wicket which helped Zimbabwe avoid an innings defeat.
This superb partnership in Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Stadium was also the 10th highest partnership for the 8th wicket in test match cricket
14) He is one of the few cricketers to complete the feat of 1000 runs, 50 wickets, and 50 catches in ODIs
15) Sean Williams has the 7th longest career ( 14 yrs 295 days ) in T20 internationals
16) Sean has also scored three consecutive hundreds in test matches
He has never scored a duck in his 8-year-long test career
17) In 2015, Sean Williams married her longtime girlfriend Chantelle Dexter in Bulawayo
He is a very close friend to his fellow Zimbabwean teammate, Craig Ervine