English wicket-keeper batsman Sam Billings is one of the most entertaining white-ball players in the cricket world.
Tagged as a T20 specialist, Sam has remained actively involved in franchise cricket
Other than playing for England, he has appeared in IPL, PSL, BBL, and in almost major T20 franchises around the world
So, here we have listed 18 interesting facts about Sam Billings
1) On 15 July 1991, Sam Billings was born in Pembury, Kent in England
2) A natural athlete, Billings played tennis for Kent and was offered a trial for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
3) Billings played racquets, squash, and rugby along with cricket
He thinks playing with racquets helped improve his hand-eye coordination
4) His grandfather, Ron Billings, was a racquets champion and his cousin, Tom Billings, is also a professional player in racquets
5) Sam attended New Beacon School and then graduated in Sport and Exercise Science at Loughborough University.
6) In 2011, Billings scored a century in his first-class debut for Loughborough MCCU against Northamptonshire
Sam has played four first-class matches for them and scored 321 runs, with the highest score of 131.
7) In 2011, Sam Billings made his List A debut for Kent against the Netherlands in the 2011 Clydesdale Bank 40
8) In 2012, playing for Kent, Billings scored 143 off 113 balls against Derbyshire at Canterbury, the highest individual one-day score by a Kent batsman at St.Lawrence Ground in 2012
9) In 2012, he was the leading run-scorer in the T20 format as well as in the CB40 and went to Australia over the winter of 2012-13 on an ECB scholarship
10) In 2015, Sam made his ODI debut against New Zealand at Birmingham.
In the same year, he made his T20I debut against the same team at Bristol.
11) In November 2015, Sam hit a match-winning 53 off just 25 balls in the first T20I against Pakistan in Dubai
He helped England post 160/5 in 20 overs as they won the match by 14 runs.
12) Billings is a regular player in T20 franchise leagues like IPL, PSL, and BBL
13) He has played for Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings in the IPL and also captained Bengal Tigers in the 2018 T10 League
14) Sam Billings scored a half-century ( 54 off just 34 balls ) on his IPL debut for the Delhi Daredevils against KKR and became the first man to score a half-century on his IPL debut.
15) In the final Test of the 2021–22 Ashes series, Billings made his test debut at the Bellerive Oval in Hobart
He scored 29 runs in England’s first innings and took five catches behind the wicket
16) Billings was bought by KKR for INR 2 crores in the 2022 IPL auction.
17) Sam Billings is fondly called Bilbo, Billo, and Rupert by his teammates
18) He is an ambassador for the Lord’s Taverners and has worked with their disabled cricketers
He is a patron of cricket Rwanda and has played a T20 match over there to celebrate the opening of the Rwanda Cricket Stadium