Jhulan Goswami, former captain of the Indian women’s cricket team, is one of the greatest women fast bowlers of all time
An integral part of the Indian women’s cricket team, Jhulan is also a decent batsman
So, today we have listed down 15 little-known facts about her.
1) On November 25, 1982, Jhulan was born to a middle-class family in the town of Chakdaha of West Bengal.
2) Previously a crazy football fan, Jhulan was only interested in watching football
But at the age of 15, after watching Australia’s Belinda Clark batting at the Eden Gardens in the 1997 Women’s Cricket World Cup, she decided to take cricket seriously
3) Goswami traveled 80 km from Chakdaha to Kolkata to take her cricketing lessons
After playing for her club, soon she got selected to the Bengal women’s cricket team.
4) On 6th January 2002, Jhulan Goswami made her ODI debut against England in Chennai
Jhulan made her Test debut on 14 January 2002 against England in Lucknow.
5) In the 2006–07 season, Goswami along with Mithali Raj guided the Indian Women’s Cricket team to their first Test series victory over England
6) In 2007, Jhulan became the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year
She received the award from MS Dhoni which made the award extra special for her
7) In 2008, Jhulan became the fourth woman to reach 100 ODI wickets and was awarded the Arjun Award in 2010
8) In 2012, after Diana Edulji, Jhulan Goswami became the second Indian women cricketer to receive Padma Shri.
9) Following the retirement of Cathryn Fitzpatrick, Jhulan is considered the world’s fastest woman bowler as she can bowl consistently at 120 kph.
10) She led India in 25 ODIs, and during the 2010 World Cup, helped India finish at the No.3 position
11) She is the highest wicket-taker in Women’s ODIs with 240 ODI wickets, including two five-wicket hauls
12) Jhulan Goswami, with 340 international wickets in her kitty, is the first woman cricketer to grab 200 ODI wickets
13) She has been nicknamed ‘Gozzy’ by her teammates, because of her broad smile.
14) Jhulan’s favourite actor is Aamir Khan and her favourite sportsperson is Diego Maradona.
London is her favourite destination and is an avid book-reader.
15) She is the current bowling consultant for the Indian women’s cricket team is currently playing as a player-coach in the team.