Green Park Stadium, located in Kanpur, India, is the home of the Uttar Pradesh domestic team.
It is one of the two international cricket stadiums ( the other being Lucknow ) in Uttar Pradesh, which hosts international matches.
So, today we will talk about some of the most important facts about this iconic cricket stadium.
Green Park Stadium: 10 Mind-Boggling Facts
1) Situated near the river Ganga, this Stadium is named after Madam Green who used to practice horse riding here in the 1940s.
2) This cricket stadium is nicknamed ‘Woolmer’s turf’ in memory of late cricket coach and cricketer Bob Woolmer who was born in McRobert Hospital opposite the stadium.
3) The first test match played at this stadium was played between England and India in 1952, where England beat India by eight wickets.
4) In December 1958, on this ground, Off-spinner Jasubhai Patel took 14 wickets and helped India win its first Test over Australia
5) Since 1957, India has only lost twice at Kanpur, and to West Indies on both occasions, one in 1958 and another in 1983
6) Kanpur hosted the 500th international test match of India, in which India beat New Zealand by 197 runs
7) This iconic stadium has 39,000 seats with a video screening facility. It is also the only Indian stadium that has a student gallery
8) Former India cricketer Gundappa Viswanath has scored the most runs (776) at Green Park in Kanpur in Tests. On the other hand, Kapil Dev (25) has taken the most number of wickets on this ground.
9) On this spin-friendly wicket at Green Park, India registered their 100th Test victory by defeating Sri Lanka
10) Other records
- On this venue, Sourav Ganguly recorded his second-best bowling figures for India (5-34) against Zimbabwe in 2000
- Rohit Sharma is only the batsman who has scored two ODI centuries on this venue.
- In 1958, Indian leg spinner Subhas Gupte picked nine wickets (9/102) on this ground that included wickets of greats like Gary Sobers and Rohan Kanhai