The Brabourne stadium is one of the oldest and most iconic cricket grounds in India.
Not only cricket matches, but this iconic ground has also hosted tennis and football matches.
So, here are 15 little-known facts about the Brabourne Stadium
1) Owned by the Cricket Club of India (CCI), the historic Brabourne Stadium was established in 1937
At the suggestion of the Maharaja of Patiala, the stadium got named after Lord Brabourne.
2) Frank Tarrant was the first groundsman of the initial ground which had a seating capacity for 35,000 spectators
3) In October 1937, the CCI and the Spencer Cup XI played the first match at this stadium, which was still under construction
4) After Lord Brabourne became the Governor of Bengal, Roger Lumley, the then Governor of Bombay, inaugurated this iconic stadium in December month of 1937
5) In 1943-44, Vijay Merchant scored 359 runs and recorded the highest individual score on this ground at this ground
6) In India’s first home series after World War II, in 1948-49, India played two test matches against the West Indies at the Brabourne Stadium
7) In 1952, India defeated Pakistan for the first time at this stadium
8) In 1960, during the third Test between India and Australia, Abbas Ali Baig became the first Indian cricketer to get kissed on a cricket field
9) In 1973, this stadium witnessed an unusual event, when Tony Greig lifted Gundappa Viswanath after the latter scored a century against the English team
10) Between 1938 and 2008, this venue hosted sixteen Ranji Trophy finals, and it also became the first cricket ground to introduce a single wicket match in India.
11) In 1987–88, in the golden jubilee of the CCI, there was a player shortage for Pakistan
So, a 14-year-old Sachin Tendulkar fielded for Pakistan as a substitute.
12) In 1993, South Africa’s Jonty Rhodes made a world record by taking five catches in an ODI against the West Indies
13) In 1995, New Zealand got out to 126 to India and recorded their lowest ODI total against India
14) In 2009, Virender Sehwag scored his 3rd double century (293) in test cricket and became the first cricketer to score three triple centuries in test matches.
In the same match, India recorded their 2nd highest Test score of 726 at the loss of 9 wickets.
15) The cricket ground hosted the Eliminator of IPL 7 between reigning Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings, in which CSK won