Angelo Mathews, the batting all-rounder, is one of the best Sri-Lankan cricketers of all time
Playing for Sri Lanka, Mathews has impressed cricket lovers across the world
So here, we have listed down 21 interesting facts about Angelo Mathews
1) On 2 June 1987, Angelo Mathews was born in Colombo, Sri Lanka
2) Mathews has represented Sri Lanka in all junior levels of cricket
In September 2005, Angelo Mathews made his List-A debut for Sri Lanka Under-23s against New Zealand-A in Colombo
3) He led the Sri Lankan U-19 cricket team in the 2006 U-19 Cricket World Cup, which was hosted by Sri Lanka
4) In November 2006, he made his first-class debut for Colombo Cricket Club against the Colts Cricket Club in Colombo
5) In November 2008, Angelo Mathews made his ODI debut for Sri Lanka against Zimbabwe in Harare
In July 2009, he made his Test debut against Pakistan in Galle
6) In September 2011, Angelo Mathews scored his maiden century against Australia at Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo.
7) On 3 November 2010, at the MCG, Mathews played a superb 77 run knock to help Sri Lanka beat Australia by one wicket
In this match, Mathews and Malinga stitched a 132-run partnership for the 9th wicket, the highest 9th wicket partnership in ODI history.
8) In October 2012, Mathews was appointed the T20I captain of the Sri Lankan side after Mahela Jayawardene stepped down from T20I captaincy
9) In February 2013, at the age of 25, Mathews became Sri Lanka’s youngest ever Test captain
In the same month, Mathews was also named as Sri Lanka’s ODI captain
10) In 2014, in the second test of the Sri Lanka-England test series, Mathews scored a superb century (160) at Headingley
This century helped Sri Lanka thrash England 1-0 in the series and Mathews managed to win ‘Player of the match’ award
11) In 2014, Mathew’s captaincy won Sri Lanka many bilateral ODI series, including the 2014 Asia Cup.
12) That year, he managed 20 wins out of 32 matches. So, he was named the captain of the World Test XI by ICC.
In 2014, Cricbuzz also named Angelo Matthews in their ‘ODI XI’ for that year
13) On 11 March 2015, in a pool match against Scotland in the 2015 World Cup, Mathews scored the fastest fifty ( off 20 balls ) by a Sri Lankan in a World Cup after Sanath Jayasuriya and Kusal Perera.
14) On 26 July 2015, Angelo Mathews became the 4th Sri Lankan all-rounder after Sanath Jayasuriya, Aravinda de Silva, and Tillakaratne Dilshan to pick 100 ODI wickets and score more than 3000 ODI runs
15) In July 2017, Sri Lanka lost 3-2 against Zimbabwe in a five-match home ODI series
Mathews considered it “one of the lowest points in my career” and the next day, he stepped down from Sri Lanka’s captaincy
16) On 4 December 2017, Mathews scored his eighth test century against India at the Arun Jaitley Stadium
On 12 December 2017, Mathews scored his 2nd ODI hundred against India in Mohali but Sri Lanka lost the match by 141 runs.
17) In December 2018, Angelo Mathews scored his 9th test century against New Zealand in Wellington
In this match, along with Kusal Mendis, he managed to put on an unbeaten double century partnership, the first time a Sri Lankan pair scored 200-plus runs in the second innings of a Test match outside Asia.
18) On 22 January 2020, Angelo Mathews scored his maiden double hundred against Zimbabwe in Harare, the first double century scored by a Sri Lankan batsman in five years
In that series, Mathews scored 277 runs at an average of 138.50 and won the ‘Player of the series’ award
19) In January 2021, during the first test match in Galle, he became the fifth Sri Lankan cricketer to reach 6000 Test Runs
20) On 15 May 2022, Mathews scored his 12th test century (199 runs) against Bangladesh in Chittagong
The match ended in a draw and Mathews won the ‘Player of the match’ award
21) He has played for KKR, Pune Warriors India and Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL)