Alzarri Joseph, the talented West Indian pacer, is one of the most promising new cricketers of the modern era
A right-arm fast bowler and an effective lower-order batsman, Joseph looks like a proper all-format cricketer
Be it Tests, ODIs, or T20s, Joseph, with his quick pace and good accuracy, always leave a lasting impression on the cricket field
So here we have listed down 12 interesting facts about Alzarri Joseph.
1) On 20 November 1996, Alzarri Joseph was born in Antigua in the Caribbean region
2) In November 2014, Joseph made his first-class debut for the Leeward Islands against the Windwards in the 2014–15 Regional Four Day Competition
He bowled 17 overs in that match but couldn’t manage to pick a wicket
3) Joseph was an important member of the West Indies team that managed to win the 2016 Under-19 World Cup.
In the final of the 2016 Under-19 World Cup, he picked crucial wickets of Rishabh Pant, Ishan Kishan, Anmolpreet Singh and ended with figures of 3-39
Alzarri finished as their leading wicket-taker in the tournament with 13 wickets.
4) On 9 August 2016, Joseph made his Test debut for West Indies against India at Gros Islet
He got his first international wicket in this match in the form of Virat Kohli and became the youngest cricketer to dismiss Kohli in the test matches
He also picked the wickets of Rohit Sharma and Wriddhiman Saha and ended with figures of 3-69.
5) On 2 October 2016, Joseph made his ODI debut for West Indies against Pakistan in Sharjah and ended with figures of 2-62
6) On 27 September 2017, Joseph picked a five-wicket haul (5/56) against England at ‘The Oval’ and became the youngest West Indian to take a five-wicket haul in ODIs.
7) In October 2018, West Indies cricket awarded him a national contract to play all cricket formats for the 2018–19 season
8) In February 2019, during the 2nd Test match against England, despite receiving the news of his mother’s demise on the 2nd day of the test match, he carried on playing for his team
This incident received a lot of appreciation from both fans and cricket pundits
9) On 6 April 2019, Alzarri Joseph made his IPL debut for the Mumbai Indians, against the Sunrisers Hyderabad and ended with figures of 6-12.
In that process, he became only the second cricketer after Andrew Tye to pick a five-wicket haul on an IPL debut
It is also the second-best T20 bowling figure after Deepak Chahar’s 6-7
10) In 2019, he was selected for the Amsterdam Knights (Euro T20 Slam cricket) and St Kitts & Nevis Patriots for the 2020 CPL.
But unfortunately, Joseph went unsold in the 2021 IPL auction
11) On 5 December 2020, Alzarri scored his maiden Test fifty ( 36 off 125 balls ) against New Zealand in Hamilton
12) Alzarri Joseph was bought by the Gujarat Titans for INR 2.4 crores in the 2022 IPL auction