Ajinkya Rahane, the former vice-captain of the Indian Test team, has been one of India’s most dependable batsmen in the longer format of the game
Along with Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya is considered one of the best Indian fielders of the current time
Ajinkya, in his 11 years of international cricket, has played in all three formats of the game
So today, we present 20 interesting facts about this talented cricketer
1) On 6 June 1988, Ajinkya Rahane was born to Madhukar Baburao Rahane and Sujata Rahaneat at Ashwi Khurd village in Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra, India.
2) Ajinkya has a younger brother and sister, Shashank and Apurva Rahane.
3) At the age of seven, his father took Rahane to a small coaching camp in Dombivli
4) From the age of 17, Ajinkya started taking coaching from Pravin Amre, a former Indian batsman
5) Rahane is nick-named Jinx by his friends and teammates.
6) In 2002, Rahane played for the Indian Under-15s against Sri Lanka Under-15s, where Piyush Chawla and TanmaySrivastava were his teammates
7) In early 2007, Rahane hit two centuries for the India U-19 team, when they toured New Zealand
In this tour, Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja, and Ishant Sharma were his teammates.
8) Rahane made a rare First-Class debut in 2007, against Karachi Urban in the Mohammad Nissar Trophy at the National Stadium, Karachi.
He scored 143 runs in that match and subsequently got picked in the Irani Trophy.
9) Ajinkya scored 1089 runs in the 2008–09 Ranji Trophy to help Mumbai win their 38th title
By that process, he became one of those 11 players who has crossed 1000 runs barrier in a single edition of the Ranji Trophy.
10) Rahane surpassed 1000 runs in three separate Ranji seasons, scored 152 in the 2011 Irani Trophy, and got selected in India’s Test squad against West Indies in November 2011
11) On 22 March 2013, Rahane made his Test debut against Australia at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium
12) Rahane and Dravid made their respective T20I debut against England at Manchester in August 2011.
Rahane smashed 61 off 39 balls in that match and added 65 runs for the second wicket. It is also the only T20I played by Rahul Dravid.
13) On 15 April 2012, Ajinkya Rahane, playing for the Rajasthan Royals, scored his maiden IPL century against RCB at the Chinnaswamy Stadium.
14) In 2014, Rahane scored his first Test century (118) against New Zealand at Basin Reserve, Wellington in New Zealand
15) In the second Test match of the Investec Test Series in 2014, Rahane played a superb 103-run innings against England at the Lord’s Cricket Ground.
This knock helped India win a Test match at Lords after 28 years
16) In 2014-15, Ajinkya Rahane became the recipient of the ‘CEAT Indian Cricketer of the year’ award.
17) In August 2015, against Sri Lanka at the Galle Test, Rahane took eight catches in a single test match
By doing so, he set a new world record by breaking the record of 7 catches in a Test match
18) In the 4th test match of the 2015 Freedom Series, Rahane scored centuries in both innings at the iconic Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi
In the process, he became only the 5th Indian batsman to score centuries in both the innings of a Test match
19) Rahane was the leading run-scorer for the Rising Pune Supergiants in the 2016 IPL
20) In December 2020, Ajinkya captained India in the final three matches of India’s tour of Australia and helped India win the series by a 2-1 margin
Rahane was the ‘Man of the Match’ in the Boxing Day Test match of that series in Melbourne. and became the first recipient of the ‘Mullagh medal’
21) In Rahane’s test career, whenever he has scored a century India has never lost a Test match
22) Ajinkya Rahane was bought by KKR at the base price of INR 1 crore in the 2022 IPL auction
23) Along with cricket, Rahane also learned karate and holds a black belt in karate
24) In 2020, Rahane was ranked 17th in The Times of India’s list of ‘Top 20 Most Desirable Men’ of Maharashtra
25) Rahane dreams to own a Lamborghini and an Aston Martin in the future