New Zealand spinner Ajaz Patel recently became only the third bowler to take 10 wickets in an innings of a test match after Jim Laker and Anil Kumble
This New Zealand left-arm spinner Ajaz Patel achieved this stupendous feat at the Wankhede stadium.
So here, we have listed down 15 captivating facts about the talented spinner
1) On 21 October 1988, Ajaz Patel was born in the city of Mumbai ( then Bombay ) in India
2) Patel’s family hails from Tankaria, a village in the Bharuch district of Gujarat.
3) In 1996, when Ajaz was only 8 years old, his family moved to Auckland in New Zealand
4) His father Yunus Patel runs a tire business in Auckland while his mother Shehnaz Patel worked as a school teacher. He has two younger sisters – Tanzeel and Sana
5) From an early age, Ajaz enjoyed playing cricket with his friends in his locality
Watching his interest in the game, when Ajaz was just 12 years old, his uncle Saeed Patel enrolled him at the Newlyn Cricket Club.
6) From the very beginning, Ajaz wanted to become a fast bowler
But, when he couldn’t make it to the New Zealand u-19 side as a fast bowler, his mentor and former New Zealand cricketer Dipak Patel advised him to switch to spin-bowling
7) In 2012, Ajaz Patel joined the Taradale cricket club and made an immediate impression on Taradale’s coach Sean Davies with his spin bowling
8) On 10 December 2015, Ajaz Patel made his first-class debut for Central Districts against Wellington in the 2012–13 Plunket Shield
9) On 27 December 2015, Ajaz Patel made his List-A debut for Central Districts against Canterbury in the 2015–16 Ford Trophy.
10) In the 2015–16 Plunket Shield, Ajaz Patel picked 43 wickets and was the leading wicket-taker in that Plunket Shield season
In the following year, he was again the leading wicket-taker in the 2016-17 Plunket Shield season with 44 wickets
11) In April 2018, Ajaz Patel was awarded the ‘Men’s Domestic Player of the Year’ award at the New Zealand Cricket Awards
12) On 31 October 2018, Ajaz Patel made his T20I debut for New Zealand against Pakistan
In this match, he picked his T20I wicket in the form of Sahibzada Farhan and
ended with figures of 1-27 in his four overs
With his debut, he became only the fifth cricketer of Indian origin to play for New Zealand after Ted Badcock, Tom Puna, Ish Sodhi, and Jeet Raval
13) On 16 November 2018, Ajaz made his Test debut for New Zealand against Pakistan
He picked five wickets in the second innings of the match and helped New Zealand snatch a thrilling victory by four runs
For this effort, Ajaz got his first ‘Man of the match’ award
14) On 3 December 2021, against India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, Ajaz Patel became only the third after Jim Laker and Anil Kumble to pick all the ten wickets in an innings of a Test match
Ajaz finished the match with figures of 14/225, the best bowling figures against India in test matches
15) Ajaz is a huge fan of Brian Lara and also looks up to Ravindra Jadeja and Daniel Vettori as a left-arm spinners
He loves to play football in his leisure time